These members have provided knowledge,
expertise and, most importantly, friendship for those of us who
are here today. They will always remain in our thoughts and
hearts and will never be forgotten.
This Memorial Plaque is dedicated in their memory. We are all
much the better for having known them.
Harold D. Hayden—1917-1987,
EAA # 4473.
Harold was a charter
member of Chapter 839. He ran the 3M airport in Bristol, PA and
later ran the airport in East Stroudsburg where our Chapter
originated. Harold provided our Chapter with its first airplane
kit, a Quickie, which was later sold to buy a 1946 Aeronca. That
was basically the formal start of our Chapter.
Micky’s aviation career
began in 1929 when he was entered into the Glider Group at
Dinslaken, Germany. In 1935 he was enrolled in the Motor Plane
School. In 1936 he took a flight instructors course for motor
planes in Neuruppin where he remained as a flight instructor
until 1940, while also doing glider flights in Oldenburg. Also,
in 1938, Micky completed his blind pilot course. In 1940 he was
awarded his Blind Flight Instructor’s certificate. In 1941 he
received his Glider Instructor’s certificate and gave
instruction for rubber tubing winches and glider towing. In 1943
he became a test pilot instructor for the German Air Force in
all classes up to, and including, the Blind Pilot’s certificate.
Mickey flew approximately 120 different motor planes, nearly all
German. He also flew the “Booty Machines” including French,
Czech, Polish, Russian, English, American and Italian. In 1945
he began flying one man jet fighter planes.
Mickey moved to the
United States after World War 2. He owned a machine shop in New
York City where he also performed works for NASA. Micky operated
a glider towing winch at the East Stroudsburg and Pegasus
airfields and became partners in the operation with Steve
EAA # 531518
Paul was an
active member of Chapter 839 who never missed a work session.
Paul was instrumental in building the Chapter’s RV-6 in JJ’s
shop. For the first part of his working Career Paul was a Police
Officer while the second half was spent in manufacturing. Paul
was a World War 2 Veteran and an avid aviation enthusiast.
DDS, James Meckes—1924-2002,
EAA # 598439
James worked on the construction of the
Chapter’s RV-6 and N3 Pup projects. He later became a partner
with JJ Banks on a Cessna172. James spent his military career in
World War 2 as a Celestial Navigator on the B-17’s.
His B-17 went out the night before D-Day to gather
weather information for General Eisenhower. That weather report
from his B-17 was the deciding factor for the next day’s
EAA # 539647
to fly in the J-3 Cub and later went on to become a Naval
Fighter Pilot in World War 2 where he flew Grumman Wildcats and
Hellcats. Don then became a Night Qualified Fighter Pilot and
was stationed with the Carrier Group which was preparing for the
invasion of the Japanese Homeland which thankfully never
EAA # 43118
an original part owner of Pegasus Airport and was also an avid
aviator. He became a flight instructor and would lend his time
giving Bi-Annual flight reviews for the members of Chapter 839.
Steve was also part owner with Micky Minhoff in the Glider
operation at East Stroudsburg and Pegasus airports. Steve was
also a military pilot and served with the Army Air Force in
Panama when World War 2 broke out. He remained there until 1944
when he started flying the A-20 Attack Bomber. Steve then
volunteered for Combat Cargo missions in a twin engine Curtis
C-46 in which he delivered cargo to the Philippino Guerillas who
were fighting the Japanese at that time. He and his Co-Pilot
were momentarily captured while landing at a jungle airstrip.
They managed their escape and flew the C-46 to a friendlier
airstrip. Steve also flew the “Pea Shooter”, the Boeing P-26,
which was the first monoplane produced for the services. In
civilian life he was an Executive Pilot who mostly flew CEO’s.
EAA # 523573
to fly radio controlled models down the middle of New York City
streets. He met JJ when a model aircraft had gotten stuck in a
tree at the Hialeah Model Aircraft Field near Smithfield, PA,
along the Delaware River. JJ recruited Tom as a member right on
the spot. Tom became a steady worker in the earlier days of the
Chapter, working on the N3 Pup. He was instrumental in building
an EAA Bi-Plane with 839. Steve was an excellent craftsman and
model aircraft builder. Steve was employed by the New York City
Police Department. His military career began when he joined the
Marines after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He was in the first
deployment to Guadalcanal where the Marines took Henderson Field
from the Japanese. Steve was an ammunition carrier for the
water-cooled 30 Caliber Machine Gun.
EAA # 824020
Neal carried a Sport Pilot’s License and was
an active member of Chapter 839. Neal flew when he could find
the time and loved aviation. Apart from being an active member
of our chapter, Neal also gave his time to community affairs. He
was a member of the West End Radio Controlled Group for 23
years, a member of the Monroe County Bees Keepers Association, a
member of the Old Time Tractors Club, a volunteer for the West
End Little League and West End Soccer League, a volunteer for
Boy Scout Troop # 98 and Cub Scout Pack # 98. Neal also ran a
remote aircraft show for the “Make a Wish” Program called “Wings
Full of Wishes.” Neal
would always find time to give of himself. All one had to do was
ask. He was a true craftsman who always came up with innovative
ideas when working on a project or helping a fellow member. Neal
was a “doer”, a friend, and an inspiration to all that knew him.
John Parker, Sr.—1926-2010,
EAA # 129210
John helped purchase a Commonwealth that was
flown and owned along with Art Schwedler and John Parker Jr. The
aircraft now sits in the large hangar waiting to fly once again.
John Sr. was an avid aviator who received his pilot’s license in
the early 1940’s. John was a World War 2 Naval Veteran and the
youngest Sailor aboard the USS Tuscaloosa. At age 17, while on
the ship, he shook Dwight D. Eisenhower’s hand one day prior to
the D-Day invasion of Normandy. John and his dad started the
Parker Oil Company in 1955. John served on the Stroudsburg
School Board in the 1960’s and 70’s, was a Monroe County
Commissioner, belonged to the Monroe County Housing Authority,
the Monroe County Solid Waste Authority, the Mount Pocono
Authority, a member of the Public Library Board and the Monroe
Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Ivan L. Battern - 1925-2011,
EAA # 169671
Ivan grew up in the Quad Cities of Illinois
and Iowa. At the age of 16, he entered the Marine Corps and
served during WWII in America Samoa, Wallis Island, Abemama and
Tarawa. After the war, he attended the Spartan School of
Aeronautics in Tulsa, Okla. After graduation, he dusted crops in
Oklahoma and Texas. He was hired as a pilot by Pan American
World Airlines. Due to industry realignments, he flew for
various airlines including Eastern Airlines, Trans Ocean and
USOA. In 1955, he was hired by Seaboard World Airlines, a
scheduled air cargo carrier, as a relief captain. In 1980
Seaboard merged with The Flying Tiger Line. He retired as a
captain of the B747 in 1984. His airline career had taken him
around the world.
In 1971, he purchased what was the unused
Barrett Airport in Canadensis, restored it and renamed the
airport the Flying Dollar. At the Flying Dollar, Captain Battern
restored many airplanes and was known in the area by both locals
and tourists for his aerobatic rides.